National Digital Forensics Laboratory Page
The National Digital Forensics Laboratory (NDFL) serves as a center of excellence in facilitating any form of digital forensic investigation, by providing law enforcement and investigation agencies with exclusive access to state-of-the-art forensics technology.
NDFL makes it possible for collaboration in combating cybercrime in Negara Brunei Darussalam through cooperation in investigation, knowledge sharing, professional training, and the provision of digital laboratory facilities, empowering a more cooperative and collaborative workforce that works and functions as a unified entity in combating cybercrime.
The main purpose of the laboratory services is to help overcome the nation's existing issues related to digital forensics investigation by:
- Consolidating digital forensic resources throughout the nation by establishing a Centre of Excellence for Cybersecurity and National Digital Forensics Laboratory. This includes non-core forensic services such as data recovery and media sanitization.
- Standardizing the digital investigation framework for all relevant agencies through close cooperation in research and cooperation between inter-agencies and legal practitioners by providing unified Standard Operating Procedure, work manuals in conducting digital forensic work, validation methods, control of records and document control, etc.
- Providing comprehensive, secure and structured forensic infrastructure and facilities under one roof, unique for each agency according to their operational functions. This includes the provision of the facilities such as hardware and software i.e. forensic toolkits, workstations, and forensic software.
- To ensure that the Digital Forensic Laboratory is to become a fully Accredited Digital Forensic Laboratory which will adhere to the quality requirement (ISO 17025: 2017) incorporating comprehensive Case and Evidence Inventory Management System.
Digital Forensic Facilities
The NDFL is equipped with Digital Forensic Laboratory facilities for use by its constituents. The constituent shall perform their own digital forensic investigation in their own time and pace within a safe and secure facility with physical environment oriented to preserve the convenience, integrity of evidence, data and documentation. The facilities and services provided are:
- Evidence Analysis Rooms with digital forensic workstations.
- Equipment such as hardware and software, forensic workstation and commercial forensic licenses (including open source)
- Evidence storage cabinets/lockers
- Evidence case and inventory system
- On premise online storage, home and shared folder
- Collaborative case notes and group communications facilities
- Conference room, table and chairs for case review
- Training and library facilities
NDFL provides a variety of capacity-building training programs to promote interest and educate the relevant government agencies on basic foundational and product-specific digital forensic courses all year round.
It is mandatory for those who will be using the laboratory facilities to undergo basic technical and quality control training.